Although time heals all wounds, the lingering scars can be unsightly, stiff, itchy, and painful. The pharmacy aisles beckon with doctor-recommended, clinically proven scar products. The Internet is also rife with anecdotes about various elixirs and creams that allegedly erase old scars or prevent new ones from forming.
However, not all of these are true. There are a hundred wives’ tales and many products available, but none have any scientific validity.
The remedies are popular, and it’s no surprise: scars take half a year to two years to heal, and people prefer to do something rather than sit and watch. Onion extract gels, silicone gels, vitamin creams and oils, and antibiotic ointments are all options.
ScarAway, a sticky silicone gel sheet, is also available. With this ScarAway sheets review, we provide a crash course to help you decide whether silicone is the key to healing scars.
ScarAway Silicone Sheets: What Are They?
ScarAway is a self-adhesive silicone sheeting with a 100% silicone “Silon” technology. The sheets are flexible and breathable, with silicone on one side and smooth fabric on the other. You can trim them to accommodate the size of the scar.
What Does ScarAway Do for Scars?
According to ScarAway, silicone sheeting is the number one scar treatment recommended by plastic surgeons and dermatologists. According to the company, the sheeting will effectively flatten, shrink, and fade keloid and hypertrophic (raised) scars, whether they are old or newly formed.
Scars from surgery, burns, acne, accidents, chickenpox, medical scars such as skin cancer removal, scars from dog or insect bites, and other causes are examples of these types of scars. Silicone sheets have not been shown to work on indented scars such as ice-pick scars or pockmarks.
If you have acne pockmarks, here’s how to make them (scars) disappear.
Clinical studies have shown that ScarAway’s advanced silicone technology reduces the appearance of scars. This cutting-edge technology mimics the healthy skin’s natural barrier function, hydrating the scar tissue to soften and flatten it. When used following surgery or injury, the company’s advanced technology aids in the prevention and treatment of abnormal scar formation.
ScarAway relieves the itching and discomfort associated with scars. Though individual results may vary, the company claims that you may obtain optimal results after about 12 weeks of use.
ScarAway Sheets: How to Use Them on Scars
ScarAway should not be used on open wounds. To use the sheets on scars, wash and dry the scar area before applying the silicone sheet with the sticky side directly to the scar. Each sheet is washable and durable for seven days and should be worn for at least 12 hours per day. You can also wear them under your garments.
When Should You Use ScarAway?
Start using ScarAway as soon as the wound has healed completely (e.g., skin is healed, and there is no crusting, oozing, or irritation in the area). Treatment with ScarAway for post-surgical scars may begin one to two weeks after staples or stitches are removed or when your surgeon or physician has cleared you for use.
ScarAway can be used on existing scars right away, as long as your skin is intact and no irritation or wounds are present.
Can You Use ScarAway Silicone Sheets on Different Types of Scars?
ScarAway comes in two convenient sizes (1.5′′ x 3′′ and 1.5′′ x 7′′) to treat scars of various sizes and shapes. You can wear ScarAway Silicone Scar sheets together to cover larger scars or trimmed to cover smaller scars. The sheets should extend at least 1/2 inch outside the scar area on all sides.
How Long Should Each ScarAway Sheet Be Worn?
Each ScarAway reusable scar sheet should be worn for at least 12 hours and up to 23 hours each day, provided it is stripped away, and the sheet and scar area are washed daily. The longer the silicone is in direct contact with the skin, the more quickly you may see results.
Each ScarAway clear silicone scar sheet is designed to last up to ten days, eliminating the need to remove the sheet for cleaning. When the sheet loses its stickiness, throw it away and replace it with a new sheet.
Wearing ScarAway Sheets While Showering or Bathing
ScarAway scar sheets are water-resistant and will stay in place even when exposed to water for a short time, such as when showering. However, do not immerse yourself in water for long periods, such as bathing or swimming.
Using ScarAway scar sheets while bathing or exercising is not recommended because perspiration and many shampoos, soaps, and other products may interfere with adhesion. The sheets should be removed and reapplied to clean dry skin following these activities.
How Long Before Signs of Improvement Appear?
Treatment time will differ from scar to scar and from person to person, depending on various factors. A minimum treatment time of 60-90 days is recommended. Older and larger scars may take longer to heal; therefore, continued use is advised if the scar does not improve after the first 90 days. Individual outcomes will differ.
ScarAway’s Pros and Cons
- Effectiveness: Evidence shows that silicone scar sheets like ScarAway can prevent keloids and hypertrophic (raised) scars.
- Availability: ScarAway is easy to find in the pharmacy or first aid section of most major drugstores and retailers nationwide and online shops.
- Versatility: ScarAway sheets can be used on all skin tones, new scars (once the wound has healed), and older ones.
- Price: ScarAway is relatively inexpensive compared to high-end scar products and in-office procedures.
- Quality: The sheets are ultra-thin and comfortable, breathable, washable, and washable, and they last for seven days.
- Professionally Recommended: Silicone sheets are widely regarded as the only proven home remedy for scars by many plastic surgeons and dermatologists.
- Not Suitable for Indented Scars: The main disadvantage to silicone scar treatments, such as ScarAway, is that they are not completely effective for indented or depressed scars, such as ice-pick scars and acne pockmarks.
- Commitment: You must be consistent in wearing the ScarAway scar sheets for at least 12 hours per day.
- Uncomfortable: Some people may find the sheets uncomfortable, despite their flexibility. ScarAway may not be an option for scars near a joint or on the face due to the constant movement.
- Patience is Required: It takes approximately 12 weeks to achieve optimal results.
- Poor Aesthetics: Many people have reported that wearing the sheets on their faces makes them feel more self-conscious.
Being beautiful means being at ease in your skin, imperfections and all. After all, some flaws are evidence of a well-lived life! However, if a scar is preventing you from living each day to the fullest, we’re here to assist you in finding the best scar remedy without wasting money and time on products that may disappoint you.
Silicone scar sheets, such as ScarAway, have evidence to support their claims of improving the look of raised scars.